Dudley Kingswinford Rugby Football Club

Match Report

A Game Too Far

Boy John

  • A Game Too Far

A cracking game to end the season, though its congratulations to Syston and we wish them well in Midlands Premier next season. For the neutral the game was certainly spectacular with each side scoring 5 tries, and the lead changing hands on seven occasions. Though, when you put it against the monumental effort that both teams have put in since the start of pre-season, its is a cruel blow for the losers of such a close game.
The game opened with DK on top and threatening the line, but no tangible result, then the game switched to the DK 22 when the referee gave a penalty try for collapsing a maul, whilst Syston were driving for the line, 7-0 to Syston.
Garth Bown playing his first league game of the season, put in a sublime reverse kick which was collected by Nick Adams who touched down, which lead to the score of 7-5 to Syston.
A penalty saw Syston increase their lead to 10-5, perhaps this reflected the changed emphasis with no need for bonus points.
DK then produced a period of continuity, which lead to increasing pressure on the Syston defence when suddenly a hole appeared in midfield and Connah Jones was through and over the line for a try which with Sam adding the extras saw DK 12-10 in the lead. Syston hit back with a penalty and went into half time 13-12 up.
Half time with all to play for both teams well in the game, but which team would take the most from the break?
It was Syston who struck first, with their number 8 making a breach in the DK line which led to the backs finding space on the flank which saw their wing in for a try, the conversion made the score 20-12 to Syston.
DK struck back almost immediately with Sam Vaughan hitting a line off his centre partner Stef Shilllingford, scoring near the posts he added the extras himself to haul DK back to within a point 20-19 to Syston.
DK were once again falling behind when the Syston left wing finished well in front of the scoreboard, but no conversion 25-19.
DK hit back with a period of pressure which saw Danny Hawkins crash through the defence in typical fashion to score a try, and the conversion by Sam Vaughan saw DK into the lead 26-25.
The DK advantage did not last long, straight from the kick off Syston hit back with their number 8 finishing off a move out wide on the left wing, so the score became 30-26 to Syston.
The DK were back in the lead going into the last five minutes, when second row Matt Perks crashed over, following a break made by right wing Tommy Walker, with Sam on target DK in the lead 33-30.
Into the final 3 minutes with to go, heartbreak for DK a turnover saw the DK defence exposed and the Syston wing flying for the line too secure the win 37-33.
A devastating moment for the whole DK First team squad.